Tuesday, December 30, 2008

NFL Wildcard Weekend Predictions 2009

NFC

5. Falcons over 4. Cardinals
-The Falcons are a very good team and are playing right now like they want to win it all. The Cardinals look like they've mailed it in. I don't see that offense being able to heat up again and win a playoff game, even if they are playing a rookie QB. The Cardinals will try to get back into the game late, but Michael Turner will be the difference and seal the deal.
-Falcons-31, Cardinals-20


6. Eagles over 3. Vikings
- The Eagles are hot right now after a big win to get in. The Viking don't have a true quarterback. I think this game will be very defensive, despite the fact that both teams boast two of the best runningbacks in the NFL. Donovan Mcnabb will make the plays necessary, and the Vikings won't. Both road teams in the NFC win their WC games.
- Eagles-23, Vikings-14
___

AFC

5. Colts over 4. Chargers
- This may be the best game of the playoffs. The Chargers have an edge because they are at home. But, they don't have Peyton Manning. I could see this one going either way, but when it comes down to it, I can just picture Adam Vinatieri putting one through to win it for the Colts.
- Colts-23, Chargers-20


6. Ravens over 3. Dolphins
-While I am really tempted to pick Miami, I just don't see the Dolphins offense being able to break the Ravens defense. Pennington is a good quarterback, but I don't think he'll be able to play well against that rush. The real X-Factor will be Joe Flacco. If Joey Porter can get to him enough, Miami might pull it off. I don't think it'll happen though, Ravens move on.
- Ravens-17, Dolphins- 10
___

So that's that. I picked all 4 road teams to win. But that's the flaw in the NFL playoff setup, the better teams sometimes have to go on the road and play teams that don't deserve the home game (See: Falcons @ Cardinals).

This will make for some great 2nd round matchups:

- Eagles @ Giants
- Falcons @ Panthers

- Ravens @ Titans
- Colts @ Steelers

That's some big time football right there. Any of those 8 teams there could win it all in my opinion. I think the AFC is particularly wide open. I think people want the Steelers @ Titans rematch. I don't know if it will happen, but it is a definite possibility.

No comments: