Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Not-So Triumphant Return and the NFL Playoffs

Well, I am back. After a very long, extended period of time off to cope with the struggles of school and life, I have decided to continue writing. To be honest, school was brutal this semester, and I had little motivation to write, but I now realize that this is something I have to do, so here I am.

But, this isn't Xanga. I'm not talking about life issues, I'm talking about sports, and most importantly, the NFL playoffs.

How is it that the Jets, Patriots, Cowboys, Seahawks, Packers, Buccaneers, Browns, Jaguars and Broncos failed to make the playoffs after their seasons last year and start to this season.

The Jets collapsed because of poor quarterback play. The Patriots probably deserve to be in at 11-5, especially with the 8-8 Chargers making it, but they aren't. The week 3 blowout loss to the Dolphins at home though has to be to blame. The Cowboys were as rollercoaster as it comes. They don't deserve to be in after that Week 17 performance against Philly. The Seahawks suffered from injury all season and were playing for a coach on his way out. The Packers had a weird season. They weren't awful statistically, but still lost a lot of games. The Bucs lost to the Raiders and aren't in the playoffs because of it. Wow. The Browns and Jaguars, two AFC preseason favorites were awful. The Browns had 20 yards passing in week 17 against Pittsburgh. The Broncos are a sad story. Good QB play was consistent, but having to put 7 runningbacks on IR really hurt this team, in addition to the empty space known as their defense (The Chargers averaged 45 points per game against them).

Let's talk about the teams that actually did make it, shall we?

NFC first (ladies first, just kidding),

6. The Eagles- I'm not sure that "by the skin of their teeth is the right wording," since they won their game to get in 44-6, but record wise that's about right, especially after tying Cincinnati and having Mcnabb get benched against the Ravens. They are hot though, and dangerous.

5. The Falcons- This is a dangerous team, which is odd to say after the season they had a year ago. Matt Ryan seems to be a leader and a good player for many years to come. But, rookie QB's usually have problems come January, so it'll be interesting to see how he responds.

4. The Cardinals- This team was soaring after their big win against Dallas, but recently it has been all downhill for the Cards, getting blown out by New England and Minnesota. Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin make this team dangerous, but other than that I don't see them doing a whole lot in the playoffs.

3. The Vikings- This is a team without a true QB, and that is a risky game to play come playoff time. Tavaris Jackson seems to be playing well, but Gus Ferotte has a lot more experience. With Adrian Peterson carrying the rock though they may be ok, as long as their defense plays well.

2. The Panthers- Carolina has been a big surprise to me this season. Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart are a dynamic duo and with Steve Smith playing at his best this team won't lose, to anyone.

1. The Giants- the defending champs are doing what many teams aren't able to do after they win the Superbowl. Their running game is remarkable, and if they stay healthy I see it being rough for anyone to beat them in the playoffs. Their destiny will be decided by Eli Manning and his play.
___

Now the AFC.

6. The Ravens- a very dangerous team right now. They whooped Dallas and crushed Jacksonville to end their season. They are running the ball as good as anyone and have a the defense to match. The key will be rookie QB Joe Flacco's play, because he's never seen the intensity of the NFL playoffs. The defense has though.

5. The Colts- maybe the most dangerous team in the NFl. Peyton Manning has been on fire and this is an experienced team. I wouldn't want to play them if I were anyone in the AFC. They have a defense that can hang with anyone as well.

4. The Chargers- at 8-8, this team maybe shouldn't even be in, but it's hard to argue that they haven't worked hard for it the last couple weeks. They have won 4 straight to get in and have a great passing and running game that could carry them far.

3. The Dolphins- what a turnaround from a year ago. This team has been remarkable. The Wildcat formation and the big time defense make this team a formidable opponent for any team. Chad Pennington will have to play better than he has ever played before for this team to make a run.

2. The Steelers- with the toughest schedule in NFL history coming in, it's remarkable that this team went 12-4. They were in every game that they lost, as well. If they are healthy and they learn to slow down the run and get back to the defensive form they were in a few weeks ago, this team could win it all. Ben Roethlisberger will have to perform if they want to win. When they won the Superbowl in 2005, Big Ben was stellar throughout the playoffs. Last year, he played poorly against the Jags and they were done after one game.

1. The Titans- this team has had a great season, going 13-3. They have a great defense and a fantastic running game. the Johnson-White combo could carry this team, but I think a lot will depend on how the veteran Kerry Collins plays at QB. Also, could their cockiness come back to haunt them? The Steelers hope so...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm really into shoes and I was looking as far as something that particular brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots are about 230 bucks everwhere. But completely I bring about this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for the sake of that meticulous brand. The prices for the sneakers are approximately 240 pounds everwhere. But definitively I found this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I have been looking for the sake of that singular brand. The prices for the shoes were about 340 pounds on every site. But completely I base this area selling them for half price. I in reality love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

hello ppl. I'm really into shoes and I had been digging as far as something that particular brand. The prices for the velcros are all over 300 bucks everwhere. But for all I set this site selling them for half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what do you think?