Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Special Night to be a Pirates Fan

Pirates 12
Yankees 5

I'm not sure I have ever felt better leaving a Pirates game tonight. To me, tonight's win was up there with Francisco Cordova/Ricardo Rincon throwing a combined no-hitter a few years back (I was there as well).

Tonight was special. No doubt.

Yankees Payroll- $209 million per year
Pirates Payroll- $49 million per year

(For you math majors I believe thats a $160 million difference.)

Huge.

I'm not going to talk about each run and pitch. I won't talk about the fact that the Yankees left 17 runners on base or that the Pirates had 19 hits.

No.

Instead I am going to talk about the event. Not the game. The event. I was reading a fellow bloggers blog about tonights game from "Where have you gone, Andy Van Slyke" (check it out-good stuff). The writer basically said that for this night, it felt like it was 1960 all over again.

Billy Maz threw out the first pitch. I felt like he should put on the No. 9 jersey and step up to the plate. It made me desire to actually have the ability to go back in time and see it for myself.

The game was sold out. Third largest attendance in PNC Park history. Sure, it was about 25% Yanks fans. So what. It was sold out. It reminded me of how baseball should be played- With everyone watching, with no empty seats. I felt like I was there when Maz hit that homer to win the World Series and I will never forget that feeling.

Just for tonight, baseball reclaimed its title as "America's Game." At least in my mind and my heart.

... ... ...

Okay enough of this sentimental baseball crap. Here are some pics. (And believe me this is the only time I will ever use the phrase "in my mind and my heart.")




Yankee fans are tools.
A-Rod Sucks. So does Jeter. Don't forget Giambi.

The End.

Go Bucs.

No comments: